Wednesday, November 05, 2008

My kids cancelled out my vote....but I am still proud of them

While I wasn't an Obamanite, both my kids were. I actaully voted Libertarian. Screw the lesser of two evils vote, even though I knew I was throwing away my vote -- but that was my political statement.
Libertarian Party is really not that bad on Fiscal issues, I think it is the 4:20 aspect that keeps them from wider acceptance :-) [sorry Bigg]

It really is funny though, while my kids grew up in a conservative, yet openminded house.... they really have not stayed 'republican' in nature. They agreed that Univ. of Texas in Austin was too liberal and too many strange people hung around campus... so they went to the conservative university that both their parent attended. I always told them they could go anywhere they wanted, but if the wanted me to pay for it, they would go to TAMU.

We live in the suburbs of Austin (to distance us from t.u. , all the extremist liberals and crazy tree huggers - my apologies to the sane tree huggers).
Anyway, back to the tangent thought: A few years ago the Austin Chamber of Commerce came up with the slogan : 'Keep Austin Wierd"
My Alma Mater, Texas A&M University - WHOOP! - is in College Station and being the "anti-t.u." came up with the bumper sticker slogan: "Keep College Station Normal"
Our home town, not to be outdone started: "Keep Round Rock Mildly Amusing".
...but I digress from the reason for this post, other than to point out the polarizing aspects of the community they grew up in.

I guess College Station/TAMU has drifted to Ultra-conservative. You would think that sending your kids there would instill conservative value, but no... my kids have become a more liberal and I didn't understand that until this article was printed in the campus newspaper, "The Battalion":
Young Conservatives

HEY DUMBASS: Freedon of Speech still comes with responsibility. I think the actions of this group (not all of which were included in this article - let's just say reminds me of KKK antics) has caused my kids to want to distance themselves from their ideals...and I can't say that I blame them. btw, that is my son in the picture...made the t-shirt himself.
I have heard that even the Young Republicans distance themselves from this group...go figure.

3 comments:

Jim said...

Interesting! My sister went to TAMU and she voted for Obama. Coincidence? lol.

I have to applaud you or any parent who has the strength and foresight to teach their children to make their own choices.

(Side note, statistically if you are under 30 yo there is a 80% chance of voting democratic; over 50yo, a 30% chance. Correlation?)

JC said...

Hey Jim, interesting statistics. When was your sister at TAMU?

We try to give kids insight to our decision making mechanic and teach them right/wrong values...but is's nice to know some of the lessons have sunk in....

Was talking to a friend this after noon. His oldest daughter is @ UT Austin and the biggest conservative ...didn't really think about it... but I think the extremes at both campus caused out kids to migrate away from those ends of the spectrum, funny htey just crossed in the middle

Bigg said...

I personally foresee a new political party arising that borrows from both current parties... And I for one can't wait.